You are ready for a fresh start. This big house with lots of bedrooms was great when the children were growing up, but now you want to have more free time. You don’t want to maintain a big yard and cleaning this great big house is just too much work these days. It’s time to downsize. So now you have a home for sale. What do you need to do to prepare?
Call Cathy Quigley! She can run some figures for you and also go through your home and give you some advice to get the best price for your home for sale:
- Clear the clutter, get rid of old magazines, newspapers, raggedy rugs and sad furniture.
- Spiff up the yard, if the outside looks drab and unkempt, nobody’s going inside.
- Make sure all the lights work, and the faucets don’t drip.
- Set the dining room table for company.
- Take down dated family photos, box them up and save them for the next house.
- Trim the trees.
- Get rid of the dead plants, bring in some new ones.
- If your furniture is really old and worn, hire someone to come in and stage your home for sale. That way you can don’t have to buy new furniture until your are in your new home.
- Do a spring cleaning, make sure everything is spic and span.
In some cases, when paint is old, dated and faded, it can be a good idea to paint your home for sale with a nice neutral color. A soft pearl grey or light beige goes with anything. If you LOVE color and you have it everywhere, we are going to need to tone that down. If you don’t want to pain the exterior, than a professional power wash can be a great idea.
Don’t forget, before anyone even makes an appointment to come and view your home, they are looking at hundreds of area homes on line. If your home doesn’t look good in photos, people aren’t even going to come and see it.
People will say to me, “Cathy, they can just use their imaginations and picture their own furnishings and colors”. That’s not how it works these days, people want to feel like a home is well cared for, and they want you to paint the picture for them. Don’t fool yourself, you do the same thing when we begin to look for your new home!!
Realtor, Satellite Beach